In the event of a bomb threat this policy will provide for an orderly, safe and rapid response plan for conducting searches, providing prompt and necessary communications, rendering assistance, and if necessary evacuating and returning personnel to work..
In the event of a bomb threat either through a telephone call or by other means, the following procedure should be followed:
- Remain calm.
- If the threat is via telephone try to keep the caller talking as long as possible.
- Ask the person to repeat the message.
- Write down the message and obtain as much relevant information as possible. Below are some of the items listed on the (what form?)form along with other information which will aid in an investigation:
- Time the call was received?
- When is the bomb due to explode?
- Identification of the caller?
- Why was the bomb put there?
5. Try to recall every statement made by the caller and find out as much as possible about the caller. For example:
- Voice characteristics (educated, low, high-pitched, accent)
- Speech (fast, slow, nervous, slurred throat drinks or drugs)
- Manner (calm, angry, hysterical, humorous)
- Background noises (road traffic, music, giggling, aircraft)
After a bomb threat call has been received, immediately notify the Property/Security Office. The Property Manager and Security Manager will coordinate the search activities and make necessary notifications.
Letter bombs are designed to travel safely but to explode when opened, triggered by either mechanical (spring loaded) or electrical means
Some signs to look for:
- Size - Is the letter unusually thick?
- Weight - Is it heavy? An effective letter bomb will weigh over two ounces. Few first class letters weigh that much.
- Balance - Is it heavier on one end?
- Appearance - Are there grease marks on the envelope or wrapping caused by sweating of an explosive? Is the envelope sealed more tightly than usual or taped shut? Does it bear an unusual style of writing?
- Odor - Is there a smell of almonds or marzipan?
If a parcel or letter suspicious, DO NOT OPEN IT. Immediately inform the Police Bomb Squad by calling 911, and then notify Building Security at 202-408-7851.